Identity theft is when someone uses another person’s personal identifying information, such as their name, identifying number, or debit/credit card number without their permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.
Potential indicators of identity theft
- You fail to receive bills or other mail.
- You notice suspicious or unexplained activity or accounts on your statement(s) or online.
- Unfamiliar accounts appear on your credit report.
- The IRS notifies you of a tax return or employer not associated with you that has been linked to you.
- ·You get notified that your information was compromised by a data breach.