Questions to Ask a Real Estate Agent
Knowing the questions to ask a real estate agent is a great way to accomplish several important things at once.
First, you'll get answers about the process in general and your unique goal. You’ll also be able to check how well the agent’s experience and style matches your needs. Plus, it shows that you’re serious about buying a home, and not afraid to do your own homework. Please pardon the pun.
Here are a few suggestions about what to ask a real estate agent:
- How long have you been in the business?
- What's your average list-price-to-sales-price ratio since becoming a real estate agent?
- What's your typical marketing strategy for a first time homebuyer?
- Can you provide references?
- What are the top three things that separate you from your competition?
- Can I review documents that will need to be included?
- Can you help me find other home repair/renovation professionals?
- How much do you charge?
- What kind of guarantee can I expect if I decide to hire you?
- What haven't I asked you that you think I should know?
- What percentage of your clients are buyers? How many are sellers (buyer brokers)?
- Which neighborhoods do you primarily work in? How many homes have you closed in my neighborhood?
- What innovative marketing technology tools do you use?
- Have you completed many foreclosures or short-sale transactions?
- How quickly can you help me view a home that I want to see?
- How long do you usually work with buyers, from the first viewing to closing?
- How will you keep in touch with me, and how often can I expect updates?
- Do you have a recommended vendors list for unparalleled professional services?
- What should I avoid in the home-buying (or selling) process?
- What questions do you have for me?