PenFed Launches Military Employment Program
TYSONS, Va., Sept. 11, 2018 – Building on its long heritage and commitment to hiring and supporting veterans, PenFed Credit Union today announced the launch of its Military Employment Program and the hiring of its new Director of Military Employment Programs, Charlie Miles.
The program will develop internal initiatives to support every phase of the employment lifecycle for all members of the military community including veterans, military and surviving spouses, wounded warriors and their caregivers, reservists, and National Guardsmen. Career readiness training, internships, outreach, recruiting, hiring, onboarding, professional development, mentoring, and retention will be some of the features of the program.
“For more than 83 years, PenFed has been committed to serving our nation’s defenders and those who support them,” said PenFed President and CEO James Schenck. “Through our Military Employment Program, we will actively seek out members of the military community to join our team and work to ensure they have long and successful careers with PenFed. We greatly value their skills, experience, leadership, and perhaps most of all, their passion for service. These qualities make them invaluable additions to our team. As a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and successful corporate business leader, Charlie is the perfect person to lead our military employment initiative and we are excited to welcome him to the PenFed team.”
Miles has led award-winning and nationally recognized military employment programs at ManTech, DXC, and most recently at Perspecta. Prior to his corporate career, Miles served as an officer and KC-130 pilot for 20 years in the U.S. Marine Corps. His military career included combat deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq in addition to two rotations in military officer recruiting. During his combat deployments, Miles flew 45 combat missions and was awarded three Air Medals. Miles received his Bachelor of Arts from Virginia Tech and a Master of Arts from American Military University.
“It is an honor for me to be selected to lead the Military Employment Program at PenFed,” Miles said. “Whether it’s serving the financial needs of our members or through charitable endeavors, PenFed has built a tremendous legacy of serving our national defense community. I am proud to be a part of a company so committed to serving our military. By adding an effort focused on providing rewarding careers to our already great services and support, PenFed is really demonstrating an unparalleled commitment to serving the military community and becoming a top military-friendly employer.”
PenFed has a strong legacy of being a military-friendly company:
· Each year, PenFed donates 2% of its annual net income to charitable organizations, with the majority going to military charities.
· The PenFed Foundation was created in 2001 and, since then, has provided more than $30 million in financial support to veterans, active-duty service members, families, and caregivers.
· Through its Veteran Entrepreneur Investment Program (VEIP), the Foundation leverages its capital and influential networks to provide veteran-owned start-ups with the seed capital to launch their businesses and the network to succeed. Since it was launched in April of this year, VEIP has raised $1.4 million that will be invested in veteran-owned start-ups.
· The Foundation also raised $11 million to fund construction of the Lee and Penny Anderson Defenders Lodge at the VA Medical Center in Palo Alto, CA. Completed in 2014, the Lodge has provided over 100,000 free nights for veterans receiving out-patient care and saved them over $30 million.
· PenFed collaborates with dozens of veteran employment organizations, as well as dozens of installation Transition Assistance Program offices, to enhance military employment efforts.
For those interested in a career with PenFed, consider joining PenFed’s Military Talent Pool.
About PenFed Credit Union
Established in 1935 as the War Department Credit Union, Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) is America’s second-largest federal credit union, serving 1.7 million members worldwide with $23.5 billion in assets. Our mission is to help members reach their financial potential. PenFed Credit Union offers market-leading mortgages, automobile loans, credit cards, student loans, checking, certificates, and a wide range of other financial services with members’ interests always in mind. We have a proud history of serving those in the Armed Forces, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Military Associations, eligible veterans and retirees, and their families. You may also qualify through membership in select organizations within our field of membership. PenFed Credit Union is federally insured by the NCUA and is an equal housing lender. To learn more about PenFed Credit Union, visit PenFed.org, like us on Facebook and follow us @PenFed on Twitter. Interested in working for PenFed? Check us out on LinkedIn. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.